Ask Jack 4/5/10
Q: I will get right to the point…I announce Legion Baseball games…I need songs to play between innings and also a bunch to “pump up the team” DURING WARM-UPS!!…any and all suggestions would be appreciated!!
Billy – City Unknown
A: You’re very pragmatic, Billy. If you’re looking for music advice, where better to look than a radio station? With that said, you happened to solicit the aforementioned advice from a station that “plays what WE want.” This could end up being disastrous for you, but we recommend the following:
- “Dancing Queen” by ABBA Because what red-blooded American Baseball fan doesn’t dig ABBA?
- “Lost In Love” by Air Supply Because when we think “Baseball,” we think “Air Supply.
- “Cruel Summer” by Bananarama Because irony is funny. (*NOTE* This tune only works if your team is “less-than… uh… good”)
- “Dancing With Myself” by Billy Idol Your right fielder will be the only one that understands why you’re playing this song… trust us.
- “Lonely Is The Night” by Billy Squier ALSO for the right fielder.
- “Hard To Say I’m Sorry” by Chicago should be played every time an error is committed.
- The Last Worthless Evening” by Don Henley should also be played if your team is lame.
IN-GAME / BETWEEN INNINGS
- “25 or 6 to 4″ by Chicago if your team is in danger of getting slaughtered.
- “The Space Between” by The Dave Matthews Band” should be played any time the opposing team hits a “gapper” on you.
- “I Love A Rainy Night” by Eddie Rabbit if you — as the Public Address guy/DJ are trying to get out of there for a hot date.
- “King Of Wishful Thinking” by Go West Do we really need to explain this one?
- “Proud Mary” by Ike and Tina Turner because if there has ever been a duo with more “hits,” we don’t know about them.
- “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” by John Lennon should be your team’s theme song… no doubt about it.
… on second thought, you might not want to listen to us. After reviewing our own list, that could — quite possibly — be the most depressing baseball game of all time.