Aquatennial Block Party Band Announced
It’s summer in Minneapolis and The Best Days of Summer will officially kick-off with the annual Aquatennial Block Party on Nicollet Mall. This year the Aquatennial welcomes [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Tonic[/lastfm] to the Stanley Stage as the headlining band. The Irresistibles featuring Mick Sterling and Tim Mahoney will also perform at this free summer concert tradition.
With six Top 10 singles and over 4 million records sold, Tonic is sure to rock the Aquatennial Block Party. With classics such as If You Could Only See, You Wanted More, Sugar and more, Tonic will be mixing beloved oldies with brand new songs off their recently released self-titled album.
Tonic will be joined by the soulful sounds of The Irresistibles featuring Mick Sterling and the Minnesota-born, Tim Mahoney who is recently back from his appearance on NBC’s hit show The Voice.
The Stanley Stage will be set up on Nicollet Mall between 3rd and 4th streets. Come down early for discounted drink prices during the Aquatennial Block Party Happy Hour happening from 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
The Aquatennial Block Party kicks off more than a week of favorite summer events in and around downtown Minneapolis. This 2011 festival has something for everyone to enjoy with its beloved long-standing events, as well as some new, soon-to-be favorites!
Some of the other favorite Aquatennial traditions include:
Star Tribune Beach Bash – Sunday, July 17, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Featuring the Xcel Energy Sandcastle Competition, Aladdin Milk Carton Boat Races, Memorial Blood Centers Blood Drive, Wilderness Inquiry Voyager Canoe Rides, Minneapolis Fire Department and more.
- Location: Thomas Beach on Lake Calhoun
CenterPoint Energy Torchlight Parade – Wednesday, July 20, 8:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- The largest evening parade in Minnesota features bands, floats, and newly appointed head coach of the University of Minnesota Gopher football team, Jerry Kill, serving as the Grand Marshall. Want to participate? We’ve extended the deadline for non-band (general unit) applications through Tuesday, July 5.
- Location: Hennepin Ave. between Basilica of St. Mary’s and 5th St.
Target Fireworks – Saturday, July 23, 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- One of the largest annual fireworks shows in the country. Pre-fireworks activities and live music will begin at 6 p.m. This year’s fireworks show will be set to a summertime theme to celebrate all that Minnesotans love about summer!
- Along West River Parkway, between Portland Ave. and the 3rd Ave. Bridge
For more information on the Aquatennial Block Party, or any of the Aquatennial events, visit Aquatennial.com.