A Brief Breakdown Of CAKE’s Twenty Year Career
Sardonic, stylish, and boasting lyrics that stimulate the high IQ set with raw guitar-driven music, Sacramento-based [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]CAKE[/lastfm] defy categorization.
Find out how about CAKE’s two-decade spanning career with our brief breakdown. Hopefully they will play something old and something new, so that we can have our cake and eat it too when they play for a very special Live on Letterman performance at the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City, streaming for free here Tonight at 9 PM ET/ 6 PM PT on, presented by AT&T.
- CAKE began their musical career in Sacramento in 1991.
- In 1993, Cake self-released its début single, “Rock ‘n’ Roll Lifestyle”. The track hit number 31 on the US Modern Rock Tracks.
- CAKE releases their début album, Motorcade of Generosity, in February of 1994 with “Rock ‘N Roll Lifestyle” used in the closing credits of an episode of the MTV cartoon Daria.
- The band signs to Capricorn Records.
- After signing to Capricorn Records, in late 1996 the band releases the album that puts them on the map–Fashion Nugget.
- Fashion Nugget goes platinum and includes songs like “The Distance,” “Nugget,” and “Stickshifts and Safetybelts.” These songs were licensed in many films and commercials.