Beer Pong: Not Just A Dumb Game But A Breeding Ground For Bacteria
News flash: Beer pong is gross and it can make you sick. No, not from drinking too much, although that’s a serious side-effect as any co-ed knows, but because the balls used for beer pong allegedly harbor dangerous bacteria.
If you’re like, “yeah, but I’m doing it anyway because, yeah,” some researchers at Clemson University collected the balls from college parties and found some pretty grody things that normally we try hard to avoid.
Examples of bacteria you might be consuming in a riveting, drunken game of beer pong include salmonella, listeria, E. coli and staph.
The bacteria is usually transferred from the ball (which hits all sorts of surfaces) to the cup. That’s sort of the point of the game. Ball lands in a cup, your competition drinks a bacteria stew. Yum.
While most of the bacteria is harmless, you must remind yourself of one old-timey adage next time drinking all by itself is not entertaining enough.
If you don’t put balls in your mouth, then you sure as hell shouldn’t put balls in the cup that goes in your mouth.
Unless your playing moonshine pong and in that case you’ve probably killed off everything remotely alive in the general vicinity. Including your liver.
–Nadia Noir, CBS Radio Los Angeles